Data beats opinion >>> your weekly update on the alternative data space
1. Dataset of the week: Consumer transactions data provider.
2. Case study: Online data showed acceleration in HP business in FQ1 2017.
3. Case Study: Pricing pressure in China autos sector.
4. News articles of the week: BlackRock says satellite images can help track Chinese companies; As alternative and traditional fund managers look to enhance their trading strategies and move away from crowded trades.
5. How our offering can help asset managers.
1. Dataset of the week: Consumer transaction data provider.
Vendor Overview: This provider delivers aggregated and anonymized estimated forecasts of spending trends at a macro, sector or sub-sector level. Updated weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly. The data is sourced from more than 38 million merchants and 22,000 issuers.
- History: Since 2004.
- Geography: Worldwide.
- Delivery: API or CSV.
Alpha Use Cases:
- Track consumer spending at a sector and sub-sector level.
- Track retail sales by country and industry.
- Evaluate e-commerce penetration.
Our database now has 489 providers. Contact us for more information – firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Case study: Online Data Showed Acceleration in HP Business in FQ1 2017.
On 10 February 2017, Eagle Alpha’s Data Insights team published a report titled “Hewlett-Packard: Online Data Points to Improving Trends in US in FQ1”. In this report we highlighted that Hewlett Packard witnessed accelerating trends during their FQ1 (Nov – Jan). The report concluded “In aggregate the data points to a sequential improvement in trends for HP in FQ1 2017, compared to FQ4 2016.”
The figure below shows how Hewlett are capturing share of bestselling Notebooks and Desktops in the US, although there is evidence of share weakness in the Printing segment.
Yesterday, 22 February 2017, HP reported revenue growth of 4% YoY, well ahead of consensus expectations of -4% YoY. On the earnings call CEO Dion Weisler highlighted the stronger performance in notebooks, and said the company was “confident in our ability to manage our business and deliver our FY17 financial commitments”. The printing segment was highlighted as an area of continued weakness. These results substantiate the insights from Eagle Alpha’s report.
Contact us to learn more about this report and Eagle Alpha’s Data Insights product – email@example.com.
3. Case study: Pricing pressure in China autos sector.
On 10 February 2017, we published a research note showing that average transaction prices of both economic and luxury car models fall significantly across China.
We concluded: “Bank card data from our data partner indicates that the Chinese autos market experienced significant pricing pressure for both economic and luxury models.Sustained pricing pressure is evident in the luxury market, this is likely to negatively impact margins for both dealers and manufacturers.”
Contact us to learn about this data provider – firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. News articles of the week.
5. How Our Offering can Help Asset Managers
- Teach-ins: don’t fall behind the innovative firms – get your colleagues up-to-speed on the alternative data opportunity.
- Thought Leadership: the most read paper last year was our paper on web crawling – would you like a copy?
- Data Insights: we have published several notes demonstrating how shipping data can be leverage – would you like to see these?
- Analytical Tools: save money on expert networks by using our algo to identify experts.
- Data Sourcing: attend our next data showcase events in London (21st March) and NYC (23rd March).
- Bespoke Projects: sample project = Eagle Alpha can arrange data sourcing, or provide monthly updates using newly available data sources, to track shopping center REITs and real estate ETFs.
Until next week,