1. The BIG alternative data showcase event.
2. Featured dataset: sentiment and emotions analytics.
3. Dataset advisory: examples of typical questions we get asked.
4. Case study: online retail data pointed to Fitbit’s strong Q2 results.
5. Vendor access: labor market data provider doing meetings in Europe in September.
6. Did you know? A survey of buyside firms highlighted crawled data as having the most legal risk.
7. Featured articles: 1) Quants Are Clamoring for Data, Causing Soul Searching at Large Banks; 2) Big Investors ‘Missing Out’ on Big Data Opportunities; 3) Quantopian Brings QuantCon Back To Singapore September 28-30.
8. Contribute to our newsletter.
9. Update on Eagle Alpha’s solution.
1. The BIG alternative data showcase event.
Following Eagle Alpha’s successful data showcase events in New York and London, we are proud to announce the launch of the largest ever alternative data showcase event.
We are handpicking up to 50 alternative data vendors to pitch to buyside firms on Tuesday 5th December 2017 in New York. Gold sponsor: Lowenstein Sandler.
This is a must attend event for anyone interested in alternative data. Similar to our previous data showcase events the names of the data vendors will not be disclosed prior to the event.
Monday, December 4th:
- 1-on-1 meetings with data vendors at mutually agreed locations (exclusively for clients of our Data Sourcing solution).
- Pre-event drinks reception at a venue in midtown with the 20 data vendors that will present on Tuesday (exclusively for clients of our Data Sourcing solution).
Tuesday, December 5th:
- 07.45am: Welcome, breakfast, 50 vendor exhibits.
- 08.30am: Introduction and 5 data vendor pitches (20 minutes each).
- 10.30am: Refreshments, 50 vendor exhibits.
- 11.00am: 6 data vendor pitches (20 minutes each).
- 1.00pm: Lunch, 50 vendor exhibits.
- 2.00pm: Panel of data procurement professionals moderated by Peter Greene, Vice Chair of Lowenstein Sandler’s Investment Management Group.
- 2.30pm: 6 data vendor pitches (20 minutes each).
- 4.30pm: Refreshments, 50 vendor exhibits.
- 5.00pm: 3 data vendor pitches (20 minutes each).
- 6.00pm: Cocktail reception with data vendors.
Access to the room with the exhibits of the 20 data vendors that will present is only granted to clients of our Data Sourcing solution. Exhibits of the 30 other data vendors will be accessible to all attendees.
- Obtain, for each of the 50 datasets, an Eagle Alpha tear sheet, a recorded demo/webinar, case studies and testing results. In addition, we will provide audio recordings of the 20 data vendors that presented. The post-event material is only available to clients of our Data Sourcing solution.
- Eagle Alpha will coordinate trials of datasets (clients are prioritised).
This is a must attend event for anyone interested in alternative data. Contact us to learn more –email@example.com.
2. Featured dataset: Sentiment and emotions analytics.
Vendor Overview: This provider delivers investment signals based on sentiment and emotions analysis of over 120,000 data sources, focusing on social trading websites and specialized press. Signals are available for more than 2,000 tickers as well as bonds, currencies and commodities.
- History: Since 2014.
- Geography: Worldwide.
- Delivery: CSV/Platform.
The rest of this dataset profile is available to clients of our Data Sourcing package.
Our database has 491 providers. Contact us for more information – firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Dataset advisory: Examples of typical questions we get asked.
- Which alternative datasets have 3 years of history and are mapped to 100+ tickers?
- What datasets have you not included in your database?
- Which alternative data sources can track trends in U.S. commercial real estate?
- If we send you a few specific research questions, can you email us the most appropriate datasets?
4. Case study: Online retail data pointed to Fitbit’s strong Q2 results.
On July 4th 2017, Eagle Alpha published a research note analyzing Fitbit’s Q2 with the use of online retail data. Our analysis showed improving sell-through trends in the first half of the year. We noted the company’s previous comments on improving inventory and concluded that Fitbit would report stronger than expected revenue.
On August 2nd 2017, Fitbit reported better than expected results with adjusted earnings of $353.3m vs consensus estimate of $339.2m. Inventory was again mentioned by CEO James Park following these results. James stated “Consumer demand in the second quarter was better than anticipated, enabling Fitbit to reduce channel inventory and generate better sales,” which was in line with our analysis.
You can download our full report here.
5. Vendor access
- Roadshow: Labor market data provider doing meetings in Europe in September.
- Roadshow: Global trade nowcasting data provider doing meetings in New York on September 11-14th.
- December 5th – We will host our next data showcase event with up to 20 alternative data vendors presenting and up to 50 exhibiting. This is a must attend event. Contact us for further information.
6. Did you know?
A survey of buyside firms highlighted crawled data as having the most legal risk. In October, we will host an event in NYC on this specific topic.
7. Featured articles
Quantopian Brings QuantCon Back To Singapore September 28-30. Eagle Alpha will be speaking at this event.
8. Contribute to our newsletter
We work with domain experts to promote their expertise to investment managers worldwide. Contact us to get featured in our newsletter which is distributed to 3,700+ people on the buyside – email@example.com.
9. Update on Eagle Alpha’s offering
There are 6 parts to our solution:
1. Teach-ins: firms use our teach-in to catch up with the early adopters.
2. Thought Leadership: clients license our Thought Leadership offering to stay ahead of competition.
3. Bespoke Projects: clients that don’t have the skillset or capacity to work with alternative data engage us on a bespoke basis.
4. Data Insights: we recently started to publish reports based on a consumer transaction dataset.
5. Analytical Tools: clients use one of our tools to track expert commentary.
6. Data Sourcing: a key pain point is what datasets to prioritize. We advise clients on the most relevant datasets for their specific needs.
Data beats opinion,