1. Events: We have 3 events scheduled in March including an online meeting for buyside firms to discuss how to educate data vendors.
2. Dataset Analytics: One of the most popular datasets receiving 1on1 requests at the moment is a web scraping data provider.
3. Data Hunting Advisory: What are the best sentiment analysis data providers?
4. Dataset Roadshows: A solutions provider in the Telecommunication and IT industry will have a NYC roadshow in March.
5. Data Insights: Eagle Alpha’s Data Insights team correctly predicted the recently reported HPQ results.
6. Bespoke Projects: How can sentiment analysis be integrated into a specific investment process?
7. Data Forum: Contact us to read meeting notes of the first Data Forum held on February 20th.
8. Featured Articles: 1) Viking Hedge Fund Moves Into Big Data Following Other Tiger Cubs; 2) Hard Labor: Dealing with Alternative Data; 3) Big Data and AI: 30 Free Data Sources.
The next events are:
- March 6th, online meeting: A discussion amongst buyside firms regarding how to educate data vendors.
- March 20th, online meeting: A discussion about how to standardize trial agreements.
- March 27th, Hong Kong: An event to discuss the practical aspects of alternative data.
- April 11th, London: Our data showcase event.
- May 30th, NYC: Our first data forum conference.
- May 31st, NYC: Our data showcase event.
Register your interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Dataset Analytics
Eagle Alpha is a leading aggregator of alternative datasets.
The datasets that received the most 1on1s during February:
- A web scraping data provider. History: since January 2011.
- A sentiment analytics data provider. History: since January 2012.
- A clickstream data provider. History: since June 2015.
Detailed profiles of these datasets are available to clients of our Data Sourcing package.
Our five person data hunting team is calling data vendors every day to enhance profiles in our database. We currently have profiles on 696 alternative data vendors. The database will soon be available via an API – if you want to build, or complement, an internal catalogue please contact us for more information. Email: email@example.com.
3. Data Hunting Advisory
Every month we host calls with clients to discuss their specific alternative data needs.
Examples of client requests:
- What are the best sentiment analysis data providers?
- What are the best alternative data providers for the telecom industry?
- Which alternative data sources can track trends in the US car sales?
Contact us to speak to our data hunting team: firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Dataset Roadshows
Every month we host 1-on-1s meetings between asset managers and data vendors around the world.
Upcoming roadshows (March, NYC):
Solutions provider in the Telecommunication and IT industry: World leader in Telecoms IDs: Telephone Numbers, Devices IDs, creating & managing real time, complex DBs with billions of IDs in over 40 countries.
Web scraping data provider: This vendor builds data products using publicly available data on the Web. They provide businesses with the actionable insights that resides outside the firewalls (in the public domain) through aggregation, curation, and analysis of this data. They presently work in two solution areas – Retail Intelligence & Brand Analytics.
Please enquire for more details: email@example.com.
5. Data Insights
Eagle Alpha’s analysts publish actionable research reports.
Eagle Alpha correctly predicted the recently reported HPQ results. HP Inc reported first-quarter revenue and profit on Thursday above Wall Street estimates as it sold more personal computers and printers, helping the company raise its full-year profit forecast.
In a Data Insights report dated February 6th 2018, we noted: “Online data pointed to another strong quarter for HPQ. Estimated ASPs were strong in all segments but desktops stood out as the best performing category with HPQ’s ASP growing 17% YoY. HPQ also managed to increase their Notebook ASP despite a significant drop in price for the category. The group increased prices while growing it’s estimated market share of bestsellers in the desktop and printing categories and slowed the share decline for notebooks. Eagle Alpha’s HPQ Search Signal inflected upwards during the quarter indicating strengthening interest in the tech hardware company.”
Contact us to speak to our analysts about this data.
Most read reports in February 2018:
- Williams-Sonoma: Interest in WSM Brands jumps in Q4.
- ANF: Consumer Interest Rolling Over Places Quarter in Doubt.
- AEO: Search Interest Decline May Indicate Sales Pressure.
6. Bespoke Projects
Eagle Alpha does Bespoke Projects for clients that are relevant to specific research questions.
For example, how can sentiment analysis be integrated into a specific investment process?
Previous examples of research questions include:
- How can Eagle Alpha help me determine the predictive potential of a dataset?
- How can trade data provide insights into quarterly revenues for semiconductor companies?
- Can Eagle Alpha help me identify trends from a dataset which has panel members that change over time?
Contact us to receive examples of how alternative data can address this research question –firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Data Forum
Our first Data Forum was held on February 20th, 2018. We launched this forum to co-ordinate the discussion of alternative data topics amongst buyside firms. 20 buyside firms joined the first call where we discussed the following topics:
Topic 1: Creating a forum for buyside firms to discuss key topics.
Topic 2: Testing datasets at scale.
Topic 3: IDSO – a new driver for legal best practices, Winton’s differential privacy research project.
Topic 4: Materiality of datasets.
Topic 5: Standardization of trial agreements.
Topic 6: Budget for alternative datasets.
Contact us to read the meeting notes from this first call.
8. Featured articles
Since 2012 we have enabled asset managers to obtain alpha from alternative data – contact us to discuss your needs.