1. Events: Next major event to be held on March 27th in Hong Kong. We will discuss the practical aspects of alternative data (the event is suitable for both quant and fundamental funds).
2. Dataset Analytics: One of the most popular datasets receiving 1on1 requests at the moment is a web scraping data provider.
3. Data Hunting Advisory: What are the best consumer transaction datasets for the EMEA and APAC regions?
4. Dataset Roadshows: A web-scraping data provider will have a NYC roadshow next week.
5. Data Insights: Eagle Alpha’s Data Insights team correctly predicted the recently reported Fitbit results.
6. Bespoke Projects: How can satellite data be applied in our investment analysis? What are the types of satellite data and how is it used?
7. Data Forum: Contact us to read meeting notes of the second Data Forum held on March 6th.
8. Featured Articles: 1) How hedge funds are using AI and machine learning; 2) Democratization and commercialization of data go hand-in-hand: Andy Wild of Planet; 3) Big data transformed the world. Now it’s getting down to business.
The next events are:
- March 20th, online meeting: A discussion about how to standardize trial agreements.
- March 27th, Hong Kong: An event to discuss the practical aspects of alternative data.
- April 11th, London: Our data showcase event.
- May 30th, NYC: Our first data forum conference.
- May 31st, NYC: Our data showcase event.
Register your interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Dataset Analytics
Eagle Alpha is a leading aggregator of alternative datasets.
The datasets that received the most 1on1s during February:
- A web scraping data provider. History: since January 2011.
- A sentiment analytics data provider. History: since January 2012.
- A clickstream data provider. History: since June 2015.
Detailed profiles of these datasets are available to clients of our Data Sourcing package.
Our five person data hunting team is calling data vendors every day to enhance profiles in our database. We currently have profiles on 696 alternative data vendors. The database will soon be available via an API – if you want to build, or complement, an internal catalogue please contact us for more information. Email: email@example.com.
3. Data Hunting Advisory
Every month we host calls with clients to discuss their specific alternative data needs.
Examples of client requests:
- What are the best Japanese alternative data providers?
- What are the best consumer transaction datasets for the EMEA and APAC regions?
- Which alternative data sources can track trends in the US car sales?
Contact us to speak to our data hunting team: firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Dataset Roadshows
Every month we host 1-on-1s meetings between asset managers and data vendors around the world.
Upcoming roadshows (March, NYC):
Web scraping data provider: This vendor builds data products using publicly available data on the Web. They provide businesses with the actionable insights that resides outside the firewalls (in the public domain) through aggregation, curation, and analysis of this data. They presently work in two solution areas – Retail Intelligence & Brand Analytics.
Please enquire for more details: email@example.com.
5. Data Insights
Eagle Alpha’s analysts publish actionable research reports.
Eagle Alpha correctly predicted the recently reported Fitbit results. The company reported $570m revenue in the quarter, just below consensus of $584m at the time of our report. The company lowered guidance for next quarter significantly (to $240-255m compared to Street at $340m). As per our comments from our January 3rd report that the quarter would be largely in line with a risk to the 2018 outlook was correct.
In our January 3rd report, we noted: “Ionic has boosted performance but lack of interest for latest smartwatch may impact future quarters. Our data shows a good performance this quarter with modest share gains and a significant increase in ASP estimates meaning current estimate for this quarter look achievable. However, weak demand indications and no near term catalysts could mean that 2018 estimates are aggressive.”
Contact us to speak to our analysts about this data.
Eagle Alpha’s latest reports:
- Samsung: Early Demand for S9 Lags S8.
- Sportswear: Trends in Apparel and Footwear Diverge.
- HPQ: Online Metrics Remain Strong in FYQ1’18.
6. Bespoke Projects
Eagle Alpha does Bespoke Projects for clients that are relevant to specific research questions.
For example, how can satellite data be applied in our investment analysis? What are the types of satellite data and how is it used?
Previous examples of research questions include:
- How can Eagle Alpha help me determine the predictive potential of a dataset?
- How can trade data provide insights into quarterly revenues for semiconductor companies?
- How can sentiment analysis be integrated into a specific investment process?
Contact us to receive examples of how alternative data can address this research question –firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Data Forum
Our second Data Forum was held on March 6th, 2018. This meeting was organised to discuss the topic of educating vendors of alternative data.
Topic 1: Dataset development.
Topic 2: Q&A.
Topic 3: Case studies.
Topic 4: Samples.
Topic 5: Trials.
Topic 6: Pricing.
Topic 7: Dataset delivery.
Topic 8: Data sharing.
Topic 9: Sales.
Contact us to read the meeting notes from this call.
8. Featured articles
Since 2012 we have enabled asset managers to obtain alpha from alternative data – contact us to discuss your needs.