1. Events: Next major event to be held in London on April 11th. Limited number of tickets left. First ten sign ups get 25% discount.
2. Dataset Analytics: One of the most popular datasets receiving 1on1 requests at the moment is an employment data provider.
3. Data Hunting Advisory: What are the best alternative data providers for the media sector?
4. Data Insights: Analysis of online search data across the sports footwear market continues to show weak consumer interest, especially for basketball shoes.
5. Bespoke Projects: How can alternative data sources be leveraged to get real-time information on U.S. oil and gas production?
6. Data Forum: Contact us to read the recap of Eagle Alpha’s conference in Hong Kong on practical aspects of alternative data with speakers from Point72, Oasis Capital and Petrel Capital.
7. Featured Articles: 1) Italian boutique unveils multi-asset quant fund; 2) The physics of finance helps solve a century-old mystery; 3) Europe’s AI delusion.
The next events are:
- April 5th, webinar: ESG data use cases.
- April 11th, London: Our data showcase event. Limited number of tickets left. First 10 sign ups get 25% discount. Contact email@example.com.
- May 30th, NYC: Our first data forum conference.
- May 31st, NYC: Our data showcase event.
Register your interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Dataset Analytics
Eagle Alpha is a leading aggregator of alternative datasets.
The datasets that received the most 1on1s during March:
- An employment data provider.
- A sentiment analytics data provider.
- A web crawling data provider.
Detailed profiles of these datasets are available to clients of our Data Sourcing package.
Our five person data hunting team is calling data vendors every day to enhance profiles in our database. We currently have profiles on 696 alternative data vendors. The database will soon be available via an API – if you want to build, or complement, an internal catalogue please contact us for more information. Email: email@example.com.
3. Data Hunting Advisory
Every month we host calls with clients to discuss their specific alternative data needs.
Examples of client requests:
- What are the best alternative data providers for the media sector?
- What are the best datasets for upcoming IPOs?
- What are the best sentiment analysis data providers?
Contact us to speak to our data hunting team: firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Data Insights
Eagle Alpha’s analysts publish actionable research reports.
Analysis of online search data across the sports footwear market continues to show weak consumer interest, especially for basketball shoes. The chart depicts a three month moving average (3MMA) of general search terms for basketball shoes (Nike basketball shoes, Adidas basketball shoes etc)..The chart also depicts an index of basketball specific shoes (such as Adidas Harden, LeBron Witness, Nike Kobe, Jordan Retro). The 3MMA index has flatlined around the minus 10% level for many months, but has recently ticked up slightly.
Consumer interest in basketball shoes is weaker than demand for sports shoes in general. Given the price point this has implications for both manufacturers and retailers. Declining search interest for Nike and Jordan basketball shoes relative to Adidas also has broad implications across the sportswear sector.
Eagle Alpha’s latest reports:
- Sportswear: Data Highlights Weakness in Basketball Shoes.
- China Autos: Bank Card Spend Signals Further Slowdown.
- Samsung: Early Demand for S9 Lags S8.
5. Bespoke Projects
Eagle Alpha does Bespoke Projects for clients that are relevant to specific research questions.
For example, how can alternative data sources be leveraged to get real-time information on U.S. oil and gas production?
Previous examples of research questions include:
- How are US tariffs on steel and aluminum impacting trade shipments of those products?
- How can alternative data help in tracking a company’s pricing power and industry competition?
- How can satellite data be applied in our investment analysis? What are the types of satellite data and how is it used?
Contact us to receive examples of how alternative data can address this research question –email@example.com.
6. Data Forum
On March 27th we hosted an event in Hong Kong to discuss the practical aspects of integrating alternative data into the investment process. Speakers included Point 72, Oasis, Petrel, Simmons & Simmons, Dore Partnership and Eagle Alpha.
- How to integrate Alternative Data into your investment process.
- Hiring: How to structure teams, where to source talent from, who else is competing for that talent, compensation levels, measurement of value.
- Sourcing datasets: The category with the highest ROI, the category in most demand, specific datasets getting the most 1-on-1s, datasets coming to market.
- Legal Considerations: Data privacy, confidentiality, IP rights, state secrecy and IDSO.
- Relevant datasets for APAC investors.
- Practical considerations for acquiring data: Due diligence and contracts.
- Success stories: Implementation strategies by the early adopters and lessons learnt.
- Buyside panel. Lessons learnt, observations about the alternative data space, advice for integration.
Contact us to read the recap of this conference – firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Featured articles
Since 2012 we have enabled asset managers to obtain alpha from alternative data – contact us to discuss your needs.