Important Developments In Altdata For The Buyside
- Altdata.tv: watch 6 video interviews of buyside professionals discussing their predictions for the alternative data space.
- Altdata in the C-suite: alternative data remains firmly on the agenda of buyside firms as we move through the early adoption phase. Increasingly firms and their CTOs, COOs and CIOs are looking at “organizational change” to make firms more data centric. This week Dean Barr, former CIO of Deutsche Bank Asset Management, with a background in quantitative strategies joined Eagle Alpha to focus on such requirement.
Events You Should Attend
- Events: our “access and alpha” events are free for buyside firms – join us in London on October 12th and New York on November 29th. Panelists include APG, Blueshift, Jupiter, Cantab and Schroders. Register your interest: email@example.com.
- Meetings: HR best practices will be discussed at a meeting in New York on October 4th. This is for Data Forum clients only.
- Roadshows: an ESG data provider will be doing a roadshow in London on October 9th – 11th. To book a meeting contact us.
What Datasets Are Getting Traction?
- Dataset in demand (quants): credit score data provider delivers stress scores for over 57,000 public companies worldwide and is used to analyse equities with high bankruptcy risks.
- Dataset in demand (discretionary): this data vendor combines manual and programmatic processes to track retailers’ pricing and promotional activity.
- New alternative dataset: categorized and detailed corporate events that are extracted from earning call transcripts and assigned with a sentiment flag.
Data Science Lab
- Open sourcing this week: Two Sigma has an excellent library called BeakerX that extends the Jupyter notebook framework to include highly interactive tables, plotting, autotranslation to other languages and many other features.
- What we are reading this week: a Kaggle notebook curated by Shivam Bansal that shows example implementations for nearly every method you can put in your data science / machine learning toolkit.
Legal & Compliance Developments
- Google framework: Google releases framework to guide data privacy legislation.
- Standardized DDQ: next week we are forming a working group to standardize DDQs. It will involve buyside firms, alternative data vendors and law firm Lowenstein Sandler. Contact us to join the working group.
- Standardized Trial Agreement: in early September we published the first standardized trial agreement for the alternative data space. It involved comments from 12 buyside firms and 4 vendors of alternative data. Get in touch to obtain a copy.
Best Practices Your Firm Should Be Thinking About
- HR Best Practices: we have teamed up with recuitment firm Options Group to produce a white paper that outlines HR best practices. This will be published in early October.
- Benchmarking: increasingly clients ask us how their setup compares with their peers. Contact us to discuss this.
How Experienced Firms Are Making Efficiency Improvements
- Standardized Metadata: we have formed a working group to standardize the metadata that describe alternative datasets. Contact us to join the working group.
- Sharing Groundtruth Data: two clients asked us to create an initial working group to explore the concept of sharing esoteric groundtruth data that is not available from traditional sources.
Updates To Our Solutions:
- 6th birthday: Eagle Alpha was established in 2012. Tomorrow is our 6thbirthday!
- Altdata.tv: we are delighted to announce the launch of altdata.tv, portal that provides viewers with free access to video interviews of thought leaders in the alternative data industry – http://altdata.tv/. Next week we are filming in San Francisco, Boston and NYC. Contact us to be interviewed.
- Dean Barr: former CIO of Deutsche Bank Asset Management, with a background in quantitative strategies joined Eagle Alpha and will work on bespoke assignments for clients that want to integrate alternative data into their investment process.
- NYC office: Dean Barr joins three other colleagues at Eagle Alpha’s new office on Park Avenue in New York.
- Data Forum: following feedback from clients we redesigned the Data Forum product offering along four components (legal & compliance, efficiency improvements, best practices and industry developments).
- Eagle Edge: our platform enables fundamental analysts to work with alternative data without the need for additional data engineering and data science. Contact us for a demo of Eagle Edge.
Update For Alternative Data Vendors
- Altdata.tv: next week we are filming in San Francisco, Boston and New York. Contact us to be interviewed.
- Trial agreement: we worked with buyside firms and vendors to produce a standardized trial agreement. Vendors can obtain this for free if they have a full profile (including sample data) on our database.
- Events: our events are exclusively for the buyside. For each event we invite 25 vendors to present (elevator pitch, exhibit and 1-on-1s) to the buyside. Apply to present at our London and/or New York events.
- Dashboards: to help you access traditional fundamental investors we are building customized dashboards on top of alternative datasets. Contact us to learn more.
Notable News in the Alternative Data Space
- Alternative Data Group Launches a New API Platform for Wrangling Alternative Data.
- Two Sigma highlights of the 2018 Joint Statistical Meetings.
- Turkish Volatility Showed Value of Alt Data.
Contact us – firstname.lastname@example.org.