- Dataset Pricing/Cost Working Group: the pricing of alternative datasets is complex and can be opaque. Following a discussion with one of our clients it was agreed that a working group on dataset pricing would be valuable. The first meeting on this topic will be held in NYC on February 1st. A dial-in will be provided. Don’t miss out on this working group.
- Benchmarking vs. Peers: clients regularly ask Eagle Alpha how they benchmark against their peers. We will start to productize our thoughts / insights each month as part of our Data Forum offering.
Events You Should Attend
- 2019 Calendar: Singapore in March, NYC in May, London in October, New York in December. Contact us for further information – email@example.com.
What Datasets Are Getting Traction?
- Quant: this vendor identifies companies most at risk of a credit event, aiding the research, screening and validation for such catalysts. It provides machine learning based credit event modelling. Data Sourcing clients can view the full profile here.
- Discretionary: this vendor is a flight tracking data company that provides over 10,000 aircraft operators and service companies as well as over 12m passengers with global flights tracking solutions. Our Data Sourcing clients can view the full profile here.
- New dataset: this company provides differentiated corporate governance insights. Corporate governance issues play out over time and are largely uncorrelated to the market. The datasets the company provides target returns that are uncorrelated to the market and are best suited for mid to low-frequency strategies. Our Data Sourcing clients can view the full profile here.
Data Science Lab
- Open Sourcing this week: spaCy – this industry-standard NLP library comes with pre-trained statistical models and word vectors, and currently supports tokenization for 30+ languages. It features the fastest syntactic parser in the world, convolutional neural network models for tagging, parsing and named entity recognition and easy deep learning integration.
- What we’re reading this week: 10 Exciting Ideas of 2018 in NLP – this research overview discusses in detail 2018 developments in the natural language processing field. Everything from advances in unsupervised machine translation to common-sense reasoning to transfer learning is covered.
Legal & Compliance, Efficiency Improvements & Best Practice
- Standardized DDQ: the first draft of the document was prepared by Lowenstein Sandler. It will be available for the members to comment on shortly.
- Dataset Costs/Pricing: we launched a working group for buyside firms to have a better understanding and transparency regarding dataset costs. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to participate.
Updates For Alternative Data Vendors
- Monthly Webinars: we run webinars covering the topics of datasets in demand, dataset pricing and mapping. Contact us to attend the January webinar – email@example.com.
- Data Monetization Seminars: we are planning seminars to educate vendors, VCs and PEs on how to successfully monetize data. Seminars will take place in the US (Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston, NYC) and in EMEA (Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris, London). To register your interest please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Event Exposure: Singapore in March; New York in May, London in October, New York in December. Contact us for further information – email@example.com.
- 2019 Roadshows: now is the time to start planning your roadshows for 2019. Roadshows yield higher conversion rates than any event. According to our roadshows in 2017 and 2018, the conversion rates to trials are over 60%. Contact us to discuss this: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notable News in the Alternative Data Space