- New website: this week Eagle Alpha launched a new version of www.eaglealpha.com. It demonstrates that we provide multiple solutions that help buyside firms work with alternative data.
- Eagle Alpha predicted Burberry results: our Data Analytics team published a research note on October 3rd 2018 highlighting weakening consumer demand for Burberry as our Search Signals indicator turned lower. On January 24th 2019, Burberry announced same store sales coming in below expectations (1% vs 2% expected). Email email@example.com to learn more Search Signals and our Eagle Edge platform.
- Web crawl data: we recently published case studies showing how investors can use web crawl data to monitor regular price, markdown and promotional discounting trends across US apparel retail companies. The data provided early read on fundamentals. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn about our use of web crawl data and Eagle Edge platform.
Events You Should Attend
- 2019 Calendar: Singapore in March, NYC in May, London in October, New York in December. Contact us for further information – email@example.com.
- App data provider meeting funds in London on January 30th and 31st.
- Patent data provider meeting funds in London on February 7th and 8th.
- Business insights and corporate governance data provider meeting funds in Boston on February 6th and NYC on February 7th and 8th.
- Lambard Odier – Buyside perspective: data vendor go-to-market strategies.
- Paragon Intel – John Casano’s advice for data vendors.
- Culture Capital – Geoffrey Burger on his lessons learned.
What Datasets Are Getting Traction?
- Quant: this vendor uses big data and natural language processing to capture alpha by collecting, structuring and revealing events from news articles, press releases and financial social media data. Our Data Sourcing clients can view the full profile here.
- Discretionary: this vendor provides data on streaming services, their subscribers and viewership by title. It is sourced via on-demand service providers and consumer surveys. Our Data Sourcing clients can view the full profile here.
- New dataset: this company provides an equity rating that is rooted in fundamental factor investing and quantitative research, and super-charged with machine learning processing. This score rates equities using over 200 factors and signals including fundamentals, technical indicators, and alternative data. Our Data Sourcing clients can view the full profile here.
Data Science Lab
- Open Sourcing this week: TF-Hub Universal Sentence Encoder – this library provided by Google is a pretrained sentence encoding model similar to embedding models for individual words. Useful applications are semantic similarity tasks in unstructured text data such as company filings or call transcripts.
- What we’re reading this week: Using flair to achieve state of the art hyperparameter tuning in NLP tasks – this article demonstrates the use of the flair python library to tune text classification models. It includes an in depth discussion on the process of hyperparameter tuning in general, as well as benchmarking vs. Google’s AutoML algorithm, achieving slightly better results on an example task.
Legal & Compliance, Efficiency Improvements & Best Practice
- Dataset Costs/Pricing: we launched a working group for buyside firms to have a better understanding and transparency regarding dataset costs. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to participate. The first meeting is scheduled on February 1st in NYC.
- Standardized DDQ: the first draft of the document was prepared by Lowenstein Sandler. It will be available for the members to comment on shortly.
Updates For Alternative Data Vendors
- Data Monetization Seminars: we are hosting seminars to educate vendors, VCs and PEs on how to successfully monetize data. Seminars will take place in the US (San Francisco, Boston, NYC) and in EMEA (Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris, London). To register your interest please email email@example.com.
- Monthly Webinars: we run webinars covering the topics of datasets in demand, dataset pricing and mapping. Contact us to attend the webinar on January 25th – firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Event Exposure: Singapore in March; New York in May, London in October, New York in December. Contact us for further information – email@example.com.
- 2019 Roadshows: now is the time to start planning your roadshows for 2019. Roadshows yield higher conversion rates than any event. According to our roadshows in 2017 and 2018, the conversion rates to trials are over 60%. Contact us to discuss this: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notable News in the Alternative Data Space
- Abe to propose creating global rules on data flow in Davos speech.
- How Firms Value Alternative Datasets.
- Tim Cook Calls for ‘Data-Broker Clearinghouse’ in Push for Privacy Rules.