- ESG Data for Hedge Funds and Quants: we are seeing a lot more ESG related requests from quants and discretionary long/short funds. This will not be driven by ‘ethical’ mandates per se but a desire to further explore how ESG factors can drive underperformance and poor company performance.
- Is this the Bottom for Apple? Apple shares rebounded this week on results that weren’t as bad as many feared. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the datasets that could help investors determine if this is the bottom for the embattled company.
- New Website: Eagle Alpha’s new website demonstrates how we understand the buyside workflow and how our multiple solutions help buyside firms work with alternative data.
Events You Should Attend
- Eagle Alpha’s 2019 Calendar: Singapore in March, NYC in May, London in October, New York in December. Contact us for further information – email@example.com.
- Patent data provider meeting funds in London on February 7th and 8th.
- Business insights and corporate governance data provider meeting funds in Boston on February 6th and NYC on February 7th and 8th.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your slot with these vendors.
New Videos on Altdata.tv
- Philip Brittan – CEO & Founder, Crux Informatics – The Top 3 Challenges with Data Integration.
- Navigating the Data Supply Chain – Philip Brittan.
- A Fresh Approach for Data Suppliers.
- The Crux Solution – How it Works.
What Datasets Are Getting Traction?
- Quant: This vendor’s proprietary database covers more than 45 million companies in over 120 different countries. The vendor gathers company data from over 20,000 government sources and combining the company data with algorithmic extraction of web information to build a comprehensive global database of company information. Our Data Sourcing clients can view the full profile here.
- Discretionary: this vendor provides data on streaming services, their subscribers and viewership by title. It is sourced via on-demand service providers and consumer surveys. Our Data Sourcing clients can view the full profile here.
- New dataset: This vendor quantifies the textual differences between a given company’s annual or quarterly filings on an “as disclosed” basis. The history goes back to 2001. Our Data Sourcing clients can view the full profile here.
Data Science Lab
- Open Sourcing this week: Ipywidgets – interactive controls in Jupyter notebooks. This expansive open-source library of interactive controls is useful for creating in-notebook user interfaces, dashboards, and plotting controls. Eagle Alpha has utilized this library extensively for streamlining repetitive and complex data operations.
- What we’re reading this week: Building a High-Throughput Metrics System Using Open Source Software – this article, from a Two-Sigma engineer, discusses how to evaluate and choose from various open-source software for building a metrics system for tracking usage of a high-performance data platform. The article discusses many relevant issues common to data pipelines including how to measure highly granular activity without slowing down the system you are measuring. Open source tools evaluated include ElasticSearch, Kafka, Logstash, and Kubernetes among many others.
Legal & Compliance, Efficiency Improvements & Best Practice
- Dataset Costs/Pricing: we launched a working group for buyside firms to have a better understanding and transparency regarding dataset costs. Email email@example.com if you want to participate.
- Standardized DDQ: the first draft of the document was prepared by Lowenstein Sandler. It will be available for the members to comment on shortly.
Updates For Alternative Data Vendors
- Data Monetization Seminars: we hosted seminars to educate vendors, VCs and PEs on how to successfully monetize data. Seminars will take place in the US (San Francisco, Boston, NYC) and in EMEA (Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris, London). To register your interest please for future seminars email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Monthly Webinars: we run webinars covering the topics of datasets in demand, dataset pricing and mapping. Contact us to attend the February webinar – email@example.com.
- Event Exposure: Singapore in March; New York in May, London in October, New York in December. Contact us for further information – firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2019 Roadshows: now is the time to start planning your roadshows for 2019. Roadshows yield higher conversion rates than any event. According to our roadshows in 2017 and 2018, the conversion rates to trials are over 60%. Contact us to discuss this: email@example.com.
Notable News in the Alternative Data Space
- Private Equity’s Increasing Value for Alternative Data.
- Hedge Fund Quant Gives $120 Million to UVA for Data Science.
- Continual Learning: Will AI Give Gray Hair a Pay Cut?