- Eagle Alpha’s First Alpha Focus Session: our first focus session on search data is going to be held online on February 28th. During this focus session, we will address some of the common challenges in working with search data – specifically Google Trends data, including the stringent downloading limitations, the subsampling of total search volume inherent in the data, and the data frequency vs. timespan inverse relationship. The session will concentrate on specific examples demonstrating search data’s predictive power. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about our alpha focus sessions and to book your place.
- Unstructured Text: automated analysis of unstructured text is becoming core to research processes in fundamental firms with data experience. Our Data Sourcing clients have access to the best vendors who use natural language processing. Contact email@example.com to learn more.
Events You Should Attend
- Eagle Alpha’s Event Calendar:
- Singapore Access & Alpha event on March 22nd. This event is hosted by JPMorgan. See the agenda and register your interest here.
- NYC on May 15th. Register your interest at https://nyc2019.events.eaglealpha.com/
- London in October. Register your interest at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NYC in December. Register your interest at email@example.com.
- Watch the recap of our previous NYC event here.
- Web data aggregator meeting funds in London on March 4th and 5th.
- Text analytics provider meeting funds in NYC on March 7th and 8th.
- App usage data provider meeting funds in Paris and Switzerland on March 12th and 13th.
- Patent data provider meeting funds in Boston on March 12th and NYC on March 13th and 14th.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your slot with these vendors.
What Datasets Are Getting Traction?
- Quant: this vendor provides a knowledge graph of data on 15 million companies with billions of data points refreshed at the rate of 400,000 profiles a day. Entities include people, places, products and organizations. Our Data Sourcing clients can view the full profile here.
- Discretionary: this vendor provides the dataset that quantifies the textual differences between a given company’s annual or quarterly filings on an “as disclosed” basis. Firms breaking from routine phrasing and content in mandatory disclosures give clues about their future performance which eventually drive stock returns over time. Our Data Sourcing clients can view the full profile here.
- New dataset: this vendor provides economically predictive social media impact and sentiment data from a segment of investors who have been identified as being influential in relation to Russell 1,000 Index companies. Our Data Sourcing clients can view the full profile here.
Data Science Lab
- Open Sourcing this week: Linux Foundation Launches ELISA – it’s an open source project for building safety-critical systems.
- What we’re reading this week: How To Stabilize Data Systems to Avoid Decay in Model Performance – this article describes a methodology that produces predictive scores that are consistent over time and compatible across various clients.
- Alpha Focus Sessions: we introduced alpha focus sessions on our monthly Data Forum call today. A separate detailed session on Google Trends data is scheduled for February 28th. Email email@example.com if you want to participate.
- Dataset Costs/Pricing: we launched a working group to discuss dataset costs and produced the first draft of the white paper which will be finalized next month. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to participate and review the document.
- Standardized DDQ: the first draft of the document was prepared by Lowenstein Sandler and the document is currently being reviewed by Simmons & Simmons. Contact email@example.com to learn more.
Updates For Alternative Data Vendors
- Free Profile In Our Database: any vendor can receive free leads from Eagle Alpha if they complete a profile on our database. Contact us to learn more: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Data Monetization Seminars: we hosted seminars to educate vendors, VCs and PEs on how to successfully monetize data. Email email@example.com if you would like to participate in future seminars.
- Monthly Webinars: we run webinars covering topics of datasets in demand, dataset pricing and mapping. Contact us to attend the next webinar on February 28th – firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Event Exposure: Singapore on March 22nd; New York on May 15th, London in October, New York in December. Contact us for further information – email@example.com.
- 2019 Roadshows: now is the time to start planning your roadshows for 2019. Roadshows yield higher conversion rates than any event. According to our roadshows in 2017 and 2018, the conversion rates to trials are over 60%. Contact us to discuss this: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notable News in the Alternative Data Space