Meet the data buyers at our virtual alternative data conference on 20th May 2020. Presentations and panel sessions from all three verticals of data buyers: Buyside funds, PE firms, and corporates.
Click below to access agenda
NYC Virtual Data Conference
Key stats of the conference
- 1-1 meetings
- 3 categories of data buyers
- 6 Opening Keynotes from Industry-leading Speakers
- 15 vendors will pitch alpha predictions based on their data.
APAC Data Conference Recap
- We hosted our APAC data conference on April 2nd. Some of the main topics discussed are presented below:
- The alternative data market has matured over the last 12 months. Sellers are more sophisticated and buyers are more discerning.
- Since December, the majority of inbound client requests for data have been related to quantifying the economic impact of COVID-19.
- ESG datasets, with emphasis on granular time series which can be used to create a bespoke signal.
- Legal & Compliance: The increased emphasis globally on protecting consumer data is a short term headwind. Tailwind: We believe that exhaust data from corporations will be a key driver of new data looking forward in 2020 and beyond.
Key Takeaways From COVID-19 Conference
- The crisis will change ESG investing as we know it. The demand for more responsible investing options will grow dramatically as the crisis brings attention to stakeholders beyond shareholders.
- Given the COVID-19 pandemic, real-time insights into economic, business and consumer activity are needed by central banks, treasury departments, ministries of finance and munis. The Fed, ECB, and Bank of England all use alternative data.
- There have been different phases in terms of the type of data that have been critical to investors during the crisis. Initially, the focus has been on the virus spread, air travel and the impact on the Chinese consumer. This evolved into global cyclical, the energy sector and now macro and credit default.
Active Data Requests
- Location data across geography
- Data to track the economic impact of Covid19
- Consumer transaction data for regions other than North America and Europe.
- EU automobile data mainly having coverage in Germany, UK, France, Italy, Spain:
- Insight into incentives offers on new vehicles by brand by vehicle model each month
- Insight into listings data for used vehicles by vehicle segment aggregated at a month level
- Data that shows what the consumer behavior like in China and South Korea following their exit from the lockdown
- Understand generic drug perform in a crisis:
- Compare country to country the current impact on generics and how this will impact pharma companies longer term
- Focus countries: Germany, Spain, the UK, Russia, and Italy
- Geolocation providers have good data on US regional casino operators like Churchill Downs or Penn National
- Hospital admissions in US, UK, etc. Data that can be split by geo and by case type.
Login to your Eagle Alpha account and update your dataset product information to generate exposure to the buy-side funds. If you do not have an Eagle Alpha account yet you can create one free of charge at the following link and market your product to the top investment funds.
- ‘BlackRock and Microsoft Corp. have formed a strategic partnership to host BlackRock’s Aladdin infrastructure on the Microsoft Azure cloud platform, bringing enhanced capabilities to BlackRock and its Aladdin clients, which include many of the world’s most sophisticated institutional investors and wealth managers.’ Click here to read the article.
- ‘Foursquare Labs Inc. is merging with yet another location-focused startup, Factual Inc., in an all-stock deal, the companies said on Monday.The announcement comes less than a year after Foursquare bought Placed.’ Click here to read the article.
- ‘The hedge fund firm was combining information on past outbreaks with a raft of so-called alternative data, including Google searches in the U.S. and daily readings from China on everything from road congestion to flight schedules and test-kit availability. The numbers convinced Dymon to take short positions against the S&P 500 and an index of Chinese stocks in Hong Kong, trades that would become its biggest money makers in February and March.’ Click here to read the article.
Events You Should Attend
- Vendor solutions webinar on 30th April at 11.30 – 12.30 ET.
- NYC virtual data conference on 20th May.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest for the event.