Our Data Sourcing offering keeps clients on top of the world’s alternative datasets and ensures they do not miss out on the best datasets.
Examples of client challenges that our Data Sourcing offering can address:
- We don’t have budget for a data procurement person(s).
- We need to know what are all the alternative datasets available worldwide.
- We can’t afford to miss out on the best datasets.
- We need to know what datasets the market has access to.
- Our biggest pain point is knowing which datasets to prioritise for trial.
- We need thoughtful teasers on alternative datasets in order to make our screening more efficient.
- It is easy to get lost the sea of data. We need advice on what datasets are relevant to specific research questions.
There are 4 parts to the Data Sourcing offering:
- Proprietary datasets
The first data sourcing problem our clients asked us to solve is to identify all the alternative datasets available worldwide. Over the past few years we have identified 500 datasets that are relevant to asset managers.
The second data sourcing problem our clients asked us to solve is to make their evaluation of datasets more efficient by providing comprehensive profiles of each dataset. In November 2016 we interviewed 10 asset managers to discuss what the ideal profile is. We have started to provide these profiles for all 500 datasets.
The third data sourcing problem our clients asked us to solve is to provide them with access to the data. We will start to provide clients with access to datasets in H2 2017.
2. Proprietary datasets
Eagle Alpha has 2 types of proprietary datasets: 1) search based indicators and indices; and 2) data crawled from the web.
Search based equity indicators are designed to give signals of consumer demand. Stocks covered:
- Retail: American Eagle, Abercrombie & Fitch, Dicks Sporting Goods, Finish Line, Foot Locker, Home Depot, Lowes Companies, Lululemon, La-Z-Boy, Williams-Sonoma.
- Restaurants: Chipotle, Panera Bread, Papa John’s, Starbucks, Texas Roadhouse.
- Luxury Goods: Burberry, Coach, Michael Kors, Pandora, Tiffany & Co.
- B2B Software: Autodesk, Guidewire Software, Hubspot, MicroStrategy, Nuance Comms, Palo Alto Networks, Ring Central, Tableau Software, Workday, Zendesk.
Search based macro indices are designed to improve the predictive power of clients’ models:
- US: Unemployment, Jobs, Retail Sales.
- UK: Consumer Confidence, Mortgage Applications, Unemployment, Jobs, Housing
Eagle Alpha crawls the web to build proprietary datasets:
- Consumer products retail pricing. This dataset enables users to analyze the short and long-term performance of over 100 consumer product brands/companies in the US using data from major US retail websites.
- Consumer affairs. This dataset contains over 1.3 million customer complaints and reviews for almost 3,500 US companies.
Because clients can get lost in a sea of data they value regular advisory calls. For example, one of our clients requests a monthly call to discuss: 1) recently added datasets to the database; 2) datasets that are about to be added to the database; 3) trends our data procurement professionals are seeing; and 4) datasets that can add value to specific research questions the client has.
Eagle Alpha hosts 3+ “Data Showcase” events in New York and in London each year. These events are an efficient way to meet the providers of the most interesting datasets and network with your counterparts from other firms.
Unique Selling Points
We have the only database dedicated to profiling ALL of the worlds alternative datasets that are relevant to asset managers.