Our Data Sourcing offering keeps clients on top of the world’s alternative datasets and ensures they do not miss out on the best datasets.
Examples of client challenges that our Data Sourcing offering can address:
- We don’t have budget for a data procurement person(s).
- We need to know what are all the alternative datasets available worldwide.
- We can’t afford to miss out on the best datasets.
- We need to know what datasets the market has access to.
- Our biggest pain point is knowing which datasets to prioritise for trial.
- We need thoughtful teasers on alternative datasets in order to make our screening more efficient.
- It is easy to get lost the sea of data. We need advice on what datasets are relevant to specific research questions.
There are 3 parts to the Data Sourcing offering:
- A database of all the alternative data providers worldwide.
- An advisory service that enables clients to prioritise datasets to evaluate.
- Data company access – a service that arranges meetings with data companies.
1. A database of all the alternative data providers worldwide
The first data sourcing problem our clients asked us to solve is to identify all the alternative datasets available worldwide. Over the past few years we have identified 500 datasets that are relevant to asset managers. Clients can set up email alerts to receive notifications when new datasets are added.
The second data sourcing problem our clients asked us to solve is to make their evaluation of datasets more efficient by providing comprehensive profiles of each dataset. In November 2016 we interviewed 10 asset managers to discuss what the ideal profile is. We have started to provide these profiles for all 500 datasets.
The third data sourcing problem our clients asked us to solve is to provide them with access to the data. We will start to provide clients with access to datasets in H2 2017.
The data sourcing package includes Eagle Alpha’s proprietary datasets. Eagle Alpha has 2 types of proprietary datasets: 1) search based indicators and indices; and 2) data crawled from the web.
Search based equity indicators are designed to give signals of consumer demand. Stocks covered:
- Retail: American Eagle, Abercrombie & Fitch, Dicks Sporting Goods, Finish Line, Foot Locker, Home Depot, Lowes Companies, Lululemon, La-Z-Boy, Williams-Sonoma.
- Restaurants: Chipotle, Panera Bread, Papa John’s, Starbucks, Texas Roadhouse.
- Luxury Goods: Burberry, Coach, Michael Kors, Pandora, Tiffany & Co.
- B2B Software: Autodesk, Guidewire Software, Hubspot, MicroStrategy, Nuance Comms, Palo Alto Networks, Ring Central, Tableau Software, Workday, Zendesk.
Search based macro indices are designed to improve the predictive power of clients’ models:
- US: Unemployment, Jobs, Retail Sales.
- UK: Consumer Confidence, Mortgage Applications, Unemployment, Jobs, Housing
Eagle Alpha crawls the web to build proprietary datasets:
- Consumer products retail pricing. This dataset enables users to analyze the short and long-term performance of over 100 consumer product brands/companies in the US using data from major US retail websites.
- Consumer affairs. This dataset contains over 1.3 million customer complaints and reviews for almost 3,500 US companies.
2. An advisory service that enables clients to prioritise datasets to evaluate
Because clients can get lost in a sea of data they value regular advisory calls. For example, one of our clients requests a monthly call to discuss: 1) recently added datasets to the database; 2) datasets that are about to be added to the database; 3) trends our data procurement professionals are seeing; and 4) datasets that can add value to specific research questions the client has.
3. Data company access – a service that arranges meetings with data vendors
Eagle Alpha facilitates three types of meetings with data companies:
1) Pilot fishing meetings with datasets that will come to market. For example, in March 2017 a listed payments company met with five of our clients to explore what data product it could develop and bring to market.
2) Roadshows with datasets. Our data partners regularly travel to the main financial centres of the world – contact us to obtain a schedule.
3) We host data showcase events in London and New York every three months. These events are an efficient way to meet the providers of the most interesting datasets and network with your counterparts from other firms.
Unique Selling Points
We have the only database dedicated to profiling ALL of the worlds alternative datasets that are relevant to asset managers.