Bring your understanding of alternative data up to speed.
Goal Of A Teach-in
The goal of a teach-in is to bring your firm’s understanding of the alternative data opportunity up-to-speed. Alternatively, some firms use teach-ins as part of the training programme for new joiners. Teach-ins are led by Shannon Callan. Shannon was Director of Equity Research at TCW Group, a $185bn investment manager based in LA. Shannon has been working with alternative data since 2011.
Content To Prepare For The Teach-in
To get the most value out of the teach-in, we will give your firm access to all the “must read” documents that Eagle Alpha has produced or sourced since our inception in 2012. This “starter pack” includes:
- White paper that discusses how asset managers can drive investment performance with alternative data.
- White paper that outlines the first steps to innovating your investment process with alternative data.
- Case studies that demonstrate how to get value from alternative data.
- Presentations that review alternative data developments for each quarter of 2016.
- Web crawling white paper produced by Eagle Alpha, in conjunction with Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, outlining legal and compliance issues that asset managers need to be aware of when using web harvested data.
- 10+ carefully selected white papers and videos with topics ranging from text and sentiment analysis to leveraging online search data to the mechanics of geo-location data collection.
Below is an example of a draft outline for a teach-in. Please note that we can tailor the schedule to suit your specific needs.
Introduction to Alternative Data
- The data revolution is the next major change to the fundamental research process.
- How is it relevant to asset managers? What long-term insights can be obtained?
- How are other asset managers using it?
- How is working with alternative data different?
Mechanics of Integrating Alternative Data into Investment Process
- The 6 stages of integrating alternative data into an investment process.
- The 9 challenges of integration.
- Staffing: skills and capabilities of personnel.
- Technology stacks.
- Legal and compliance.
Categories of Alternative Data
- Overview of 20+ categories of newly available alternative data sources.
- In-depth examination of specific data categories including: use cases, data provenance, legal and compliance considerations, technology skills required, analytical approaches, data provider landscape and data costs.
- Given specific industries, a look at the most relevant data sources and insights that can be derived from them.
Recommendations for Next Steps
- How to keep on top of the alternative data space and best practices.
- Organise a bespoke project(s) to demonstrate usefulness and ROI and to set-up frameworks for continuing work in-house.
- Speak to the most qualified headhunters and candidates.
- Schedule demos of relevant datasets.
- Bring your firm’s understanding of the alternative data space up-to-speed.
- Make effective use of your time by receiving customised information specific to your needs.
- Breakout sessions available to address specific questions from members of your team.
- Take advantage of Eagle Alpha’s 4+ years of expertise in the alternative data space.