Schedule a teach-in to learn about the alternative data opportunity.
Goal Of The Teach-in
The goal of the teach-in is to bring your firm’s understanding of the alternative data opportunity up-to-speed. Teach-ins are led by Shannon Callan. Shannon was Director of Equity Research at TCW Group, a $185bn investment manager based in LA. Shannon has been working with alternative data since 2011.
Content To Prepare For The Teach-in
To get the most value out of the teach-in, we will give your firm access to all the “must read” documents that Eagle Alpha has produced or sourced since our inception in 2012. This “starter pack” includes:
- White paper that discusses how asset managers can drive investment performance with alternative data.
- White paper that outlines the first steps to innovating your investment process with alternative data.
- Case studies that demonstrate how to get value from alternative data.
- Presentations that review alternative data developments for each quarter of 2016.
- Web crawling white paper produced by Eagle Alpha, in conjunction with Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, outlining legal and compliance issues that asset managers need to be aware of when using web harvested data.
- 10+ carefully selected white papers and videos with topics ranging from text and sentiment analysis to leveraging online search data to the mechanics of geo-location data collection.
Below is an example of a draft outline for a teach-in. Please note that we can tailor the schedule to suit your specific needs.
Introduction to Alternative Data
- The data revolution is the next major change to the fundamental research process.
- How is it relevant to asset managers? What long-term insights can be obtained?
- How are other asset managers using it?
- Market size and growth.
Mechanics of Integrating Alternative Data into Investment Process
- The 6 stages of integrating alternative data into an investment process
- The 9 challenges of integration
- Corporate organization
- Skills and capabilities of personnel
- IT requirements
- Legal and compliance
Categories of Alternative Data
- Overview of 20+ categories of newly available alternative data sources
- In-depth examination of specific data categories including: use cases, data provenance, legal and compliance consideration, technology skills required, analytical approaches, data provider landscape, data costs.
Presentations of Use Cases to Analysts and Portfolio Managers
- Consumer goods
- Retail and restaurants
- Computer software and hardware
- Macro applications
Recommendations for Next Steps
- Keep on top of the alternative data space and best practice
- Organise a bespoke project(s) to demonstrate usefulness and ROI and to set-up frameworks for continuing work in-house
- Speak to the most qualified headhunters and candidates
- Schedule demos of relevant datasets
- Bring your firm’s understanding of the alternative data space up-to-speed.
- Make effective use of your time by receiving customised information specific to your needs.
- Take advantage of Eagle Alpha’s 4+ years of expertise in the alternative data space.