Eagle Alpha’s Innovation Center is comprised of teach-ins, an advisory service, events and proprietary content.
There are three steps to Eagle Alpha’s teach-ins:
Step 1: Receive content to prepare for a teach-in.
In advance of a teach-in we provide clients with access to all the “must read” documents that Eagle Alpha has produced or sourced since our inception in 2012. These documents include:
- White paper that discusses how asset managers can drive investment performance with alternative data.
- White paper that outlines the first steps to innovating your investment process with alternative data.
- Case studies that demonstrate how to get value from alternative data.
- Presentations that review alternative data developments for each quarter of 2016.
- Web crawling white paper produced by Eagle Alpha, in conjunction with Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, outlining legal and compliance issues that asset managers need to be aware of when using web harvested data.
- 10+ carefully selected white papers and videos with topics ranging from text and sentiment analysis to leveraging online search data to the mechanics of geo-location data collection.
Step 2: Schedule a call to discuss a tailored schedule. Below is a sample schedule for discussion. Typically clients prefer to split the teach-in into two half day sessions.
Introduction to Alternative Data
- The alternative data revolution is the next major change to the investment research process.
- How is it relevant to asset managers? What long-term insights can be obtained?
- How are other asset managers using it?
- How is working with alternative data different?
Mechanics of Integrating Alternative Data into Investment Process
- The 6 stages of integrating alternative data into an investment process.
- The 9 challenges of integration.
- Staffing: skills and capabilities of personnel.
- Technology stack.
- Legal and compliance.
Categories of Alternative Data
- Overview of 20+ categories of newly available alternative data sources.
- In-depth examination of specific data categories including: use cases, data provenance, legal and compliance considerations, technology skills required, analytical approaches, data provider landscape and data costs.
- Given specific industries, a look at the most relevant data sources and insights that can be derived from them. NB: we can organise short breakout sessions with industry teams.
Discussion of Potential Next Steps
- Consider a bespoke project(s) to demonstrate usefulness and ROI and to set-up frameworks for continuing work in-house.
- How to keep on top of the alternative data space and best practices.
- Introductions to the most qualified headhunters and candidates.
- Schedule demos of relevant Eagle Alpha proprietary datasets and/or partner datasets.
Step 3: Delivery of a teach-in.
Teach-ins are led by Shannon Callan. Shannon was Director of Equity Research at TCW Group, a $185bn investment manager based in LA. Shannon has been working with alternative data since 2011.
Thought Leadership ensures that our clients do not fall behind the curve regarding how to obtain value from alternative data.
Examples of client challenges that our Thought Leadership offering can address:
- Determining how to get value from alternative data is our #1 challenge.
- We want to keep on top of best practice and not fall behind the curve.
- Keeping on top of the legal and compliance side of alternative data is critical for our firm.
There are four parts to the Thought Leadership offering:
1. Tailored Events
Schedule Events: Eagle Alpha hosts events in New York, London and Hong Kong – only clients are guaranteed places. We also recommend the best third party events regarding alternative data. Learn more about upcoming events.
Event Recaps: We publish papers that summarise the key highlights of previous events.
2. 1-on-1 Advice
Analyst Access: Leverage the knowledge of our research analysts, data scientists and/or engineers who have 4+ years’ experience working with alternative data.
3. Proprietary Content
Innovators: Keep track of what other asset managers are doing regarding alternative data.
Recruitment: Gain insights from Eagle Alpha interviews with relevant headhunters.
Legal & Compliance:
Leverage proprietary content regarding topical issues e.g. web crawling.
Dataset Developments: Keep track of enhancements to existing datasets.
Engineering: Receive content dedicated to the IT infrastructure required to extract alpha from alternative data.
Data Science: Obtain insights from Eagle Alpha’s data scientists and papers from third party data scientists.
Case Studies: Obtain case studies (proprietary and third party) that demonstrate how to get value from alternative data.
Expert Interviews: Learn from interviews with alternative data experts.
4. Industry Developments
Quarterly Reviews: Keep on top of developments in the alternative data space through a quarterly review by our CEO.
Curated Articles: Our team are constantly hunting for the best articles worldwide regarding the alternative data space.
Newsletter: Receive a weekly newsletter that includes case studies of how alternative data can be leveraged.